Everything In Between

If your project so much as pretends to have a profit motive, I will tell you to go fuck yourself and your project.

Spell Check and Sliced Bread

9 comments

I think this is worth saving. While speaking about efficiency in the workplace (or rather the typical lack thereof) with Char, the topic of computers and automation came up as it always seems to do with me. She made a good point, namely that proofreading is not (yet) desireable to automate, and likely never would be.

Nevertheless, silly technical mistakes like typos and incorrect spelling should be a thing of the past thanks to spell checkers and the like built into most good computer word processing applications these days. Unfortuantely, few people really use these tools to their fullest advantage. This whole topic can probably be a series of posts on its own, but for now I’ll just save this one snippet from the conversation:

Spell check is the best thing since sliced bread, but you still gotta spread your own butter!

Written by Meitar

March 7th, 2005 at 2:02 pm

Posted in General,Quotables

9 Responses to 'Spell Check and Sliced Bread'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Spell Check and Sliced Bread'.

1. Can you elaborate on the difference between typos and incorrect spelling?

Nick Moscovitz

7 Mar 05 at 3:31 PM

2. LoL! Of course. Typos are incorrect spellings but incorrect spellings are not necessarily typos. ;)

Meitar

7 Mar 05 at 4:52 PM

3. So it’s like this: Those who can’t spell – spell incorrectly and don’t know it, and those who can spell and still spell incorrectly make typos. Either way both types don’t care enough to spellcheck. Right? – I mean, this distinction now became paramount to my well being….

Nick Moscovitz

7 Mar 05 at 6:37 PM

4. Nick: My son is borderline dyslexic (he didn’t quite score the right numbers in the empirical tests to prove the full label but has all the classic signs). He will type and use spell check. The spell check catches his typos (teh vs. the, taht vs. that. What it won’t catch are misspelled words such as wear for were or write for right. Not quite what May had in mind I think, but still a viable example.

blondzila

7 Mar 05 at 9:47 PM

5. That is an excellent example. Even the best algorithms cannot resolve intentional deviations in spelling (as may be found in poetry, for instance). These instances are the the “butter”… Language is way beyond set of logic rules, and computers are way inferior to the human mind, and (I personally believe that even) LOGIC cannot encompass emotions and spirituality. As for what exactly May had in mind, it matters little after all, because I was (as I always do) responding based on what I had in (my) mind.

Nick Moscovitz

7 Mar 05 at 11:54 PM

6. Totally off topic, but, Aba, you didn’t use dashes and other punctuation that would have erroneously broken the flow of your sentence. See how much more readable this last comment of yours is?

Meitar

8 Mar 05 at 2:01 AM

7. Indeed. Your comment was taken seriously. This is just one small example for a stream of inspiring thingsI learned from you. Thanks.

NIck

8 Mar 05 at 7:44 AM

8. Sorry, I couldn’t help pointing out the typo of “thingsI” from the previous post. What can I say… I like irony. :-)

Amberflame

12 Mar 05 at 12:05 PM

9. Weird. I’m sure you found a typo (and I do always encourage folks to point them out to me when I make them) but after combing through my previous entry three times (with a find tool) I couldn’t find that typo. Help?

Meitar