I just ran my ego-search and I’ve moved up from third place to second place in a search for “moscovitz” on Google. It looks like the changes I implemented several weeks ago have indeed had the desired effect.
Some of the changes I made were:
- Placed my name into the headers on the home page.
- Used my name as anchor text in links on other sites to the home page.
- Streamlined the HTML and reducing the size of the
headsections of my pages.
- Added my name to the header of my blog description on each page.
- Added my name to the
titleof selected pages.
- Updated my site more frequently, including writing in my blog more often and agreggating the content I write for other sites onto my main site.
After all this, however, there are still more things I can do such as:
- Move my name to the beginning of the
titleinstead of the end, especially on the home page.
- Add unique
metatags for each page, especially the
- Submit my site to the web directories (rather than just the search engines).
- Optimize my keywords for stemming, proximity grouping, and popularity.
Thankfully, search engine optimization is something I consider from the start of every web development project, and it’s something I built the hooks into for my own site from the redesign. This would have been a nightmare if I had to retrofit the entire site rather than doing it right the first time. And now the benefits are really showing through.