The Predator Alert Tool for Facebook helps survivors of sexual violence connect with other survivors in their social networks and start conversations with friends about consent.
Up to 85% of rapes are committed by someone the survivor already knows. And nearly 70% of American adults use Facebook. This means it’s likely that a survivor of sexual violence is Facebook friends, or friends-of-friends, with the person who attacked them.
The Predator Alert Tool is a free app you can add to your Facebook account.
Emphasis added. Think about it for a minute. No, seriously, think about it and all that it implies.
- “Predator Alert Tool” co-creators aim to “build sexual assault prevention tools into every social network on the Internet”
- Wanna make a difference using social media? Share information other people want erased.
- Predator Alert Tool for Facebook: Frequently Asked Questions
- Rape culture, meet Internet culture: Predator Alert Tool for OkCupid and other online anti-rape initiatives
- Repeat Rape: How do they get away with it?